This is our new favorite granola! We’ll be making this one for awhile….at least until we get tired of it. But given how much we love it….that might take awhile.
Granola is absolutely one of the simplest things to throw together. I enjoy the occasional short-cut when it comes to meals in our home. Feeding a family of seven, with five children under the age of nine, is a big job. Feeding a family of seven, some of whom have multiple food allergies, can be downright daunting! I don’t make our own bread, my kids like boxed cereal, and I never did figure out a winning recipe for ketchup…which is something my boys’ consider more food group than condiment. Granola? Granola I can do! Why should you make your own granola rather than purchase pre-made?
- It is much, much more cost effective.
- You control the ingredients! No refined sugars needed and if you’re very sensitive to gluten, can be made with certified gf oats.
- It is easy! Seriously, minus baking time, this takes 10 minutes MAX to throw together.
Plus, you really can’t go wrong when you eat something that tastes like oatmeal cookies for breakfast.
- 5 cups oats (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup coconut, shredded (can use unsweetened)
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- golden raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, cinnamon, salt, and shredded coconut.
- In a microwave safe dish, melt coconut oil. Stir in honey and vanilla.
- Pour coconut oil mixture over oats and combine well.
- Spread onto parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for approximately 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes (your oven may take less baking time, just watch for it to turn a nice, golden brown).
- Store in airtight container.
- NOTES: You may mix in dried fruit at this point and store that way, we keep ours plain as a couple of our kids prefer sliced banana to dried fruit:-) But I like raisins to get the full oatmeal cookie effect!
This oatmeal is so deliciously frugal that it is linked up over at Thrifty Thursday!