Here’s the thing. Slow cookers are awesome. In fact, I’m willing to bet that if you ask any homeschooling-mother-of-many-children you will hear that the slow cooker is a pretty genius invention. Right up there with #2 pencils and chocolate.
Buuuuuut, I hate slow cooker chicken. There, I said it. No matter what recipe I try, it is always….just….ok. Beef? Great. Pork? Sure! Chicken? Nope. Never a winner. Until now. I can’t even believe it. A slow cooker recipe that my whole family loves. Yup. I’m pumped.
Scrumptious looking, no? It tastes as lovely as it looks:-)
Here is my top secret trick for making this recipe even more amazing. Once the chicken is done, throw it on a baking sheet. Sprinkle a bit of brown sugar over the top and broil until it’s a delicious caramelized mess.
Optional, but worth the couple of extra minutes! I hope you’ll enjoy this addition to your busy day repertoire.
- 6 chicken breasts, thawed
- 1½ cups of your favorite BBQ sauce (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (plus extra for later)
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- buns - gluten-free if needed!
- Place chicken in crockpot.
- Stir together remaining ingredients, except cornstarch, and pour over chicken.
- Cook on high 4 hours or on low 6-8 hours.
- Shred chicken right in slow cooker.
- Mix cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook for another 20-30 minutes.
- Chicken is now ready to serve. But if you really want to wow your tastebuds...pour chicken into baking dish. Sprinkle with an extra couple tablespoons of brown sugar. Broil for 5-7 minutes until the chicken is browned and caramelized!