I am a “chewy cookie” girl. I like a little crispiness on the outside, that gives way to a chewy (maybe even a little gooey!) inside. Case in point, my Crispy Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies. However, I occasionally have equal-opportunity cookie moments.
Like when I bake up a batch of these soft little banana cookies. These cookies came about just like most banana recipes I would guess. I had a few over-ripe bananas on my counter that needed a purpose. They sure found it.
These little spiced gems will remind you of the cookies your grandma used to make, or maybe that you wished she would make! They are almost cake-like and loaded with all sorts of goodness like oats, banana, flax and cinnamon. And butter, of course!
Oh, did I mention that they are gluten and egg-free? I used a combination of oat flour and Pamela’s Artisan Flour Blend. Delicious! Did you know that oat flour is super easy to grind yourself? It is such a frugal way to have a wheat-free flour option. Just remember, if you are very strictly gluten-free, to purchase certified gluten-free oats. You can also buy pre-ground oat flour.
If you’re in a hurry, you can drop scoops of dough onto a pan and skip the rolling in cinnamon-sugar step. I think they are prettier this way though, and the cinnamon-sugar adds a little extra sweetness.
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 small-medium very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1¼ cup)
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup Pamela's Artisan Flour Blend (or other blend)
- 1 cup oat flour (see post for details)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- Extra cinnamon and sugar for rolling.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mash bananas. Stir in flax and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour blend, oat flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices, and oats. Set aside.
- Beat together butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add banana/flax mixture, sour cream and vanilla to butter mixture and beat well.
- Add flour mixture. Stir well.
- Batter will seem a little thin at first but will thicken quickly as the flours get absorbed.
- Scoop dough and form into balls. Roll in cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
You may also like these Almond Butter Banana Bread Cookies!