One of my big goals lately is to come up with a few new quick and easy meals. I have always enjoyed cooking. Leisurely hours in the kitchen trying new recipes was my idea of a good time. But with the addition of each delicious baby, my priorities have shifted. Now, it’s all about efficiency. Hopefully, there will come a day when I will relax in my kitchen once again, but for now I’m focused on getting these growing little people nourished as easily as possible. Of course, easy and healthy are not always synonymous. So let’s push aside the chicken nugget and make some One-Pan Sausage Pasta shall we?
This is actually quite simple. Sauté 1 pound of pork sausage (have I mentioned that we have pigs now? so farm-fresh pork, yay.), and 1 small diced onion. When the pork is cooked through, add garlic. Then add some chicken broth, a can of tomato sauce, a little salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add pasta. Cover and cook. Then stir in sour cream and top with cheese. A quick trip under the broiler and dinner is ready!
See? Easy! And my kids totally scarfed this up. In other news, it is bizarre and lovely that my boys’ have outgrown their dairy allergy. The addition of a little dairy here and there has been nice in spicing up dinner. However, if you are dairy-free, this pasta is still great! Just omit the sour cream and cheese, and try stirring in a 1/4 cup of non-dairy milk at the end for some creaminess.
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 can (14-ounce) tomato sauce
- 8 oz. dried gluten-free pasta (pick your fave!)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less, to taste)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I use a mozzarella/parmesan mix)
- ½ cup sour cream
- In an oven-proof skillet over medium heat, sauté sausage and onions until sausage is cooked through.
- Add garlic, sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add chicken stock, tomato sauce, dried pasta, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring once.
- When pasta is al dente, stir in sour cream.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Place skillet in oven and broil until cheese is brown and bubbly.
- Serve and enjoy!
Looking for a good gluten-free pasta? We love Barilla and Traders Joe’s.