Remember that Sweet Corn Salsa that I shared with you last week. I’m hooked.
So I made a salad. Not just any salad mind you. Mexican Salad with SWEET CORN SALSA! Oh yes.
Then I gave this very salad to my husband for dinner when he got home from work. He will often eat later than the kids and I during the week. Because, true story, something otherwordly happens to my children if I don’t feed them before 6:00 pm. Is this just me?
Anyway, I could tell that he wasn’t that excited. It was a salad after all. But as I’m loading the dishwasher, I hear “Babe….this is pretty good.” Yup. I’ve still got it.
This salad is so simple to throw together. Just a few fresh and delicious ingredients and you will be enjoying a yummy nutritious salad. One of the stars of this salad is the chicken! I discovered a cool trick a few months ago and have been using it ever since. Just use your favorite taco seasoning as a dry rub for the chicken. It is a super easy way to add lots of flavor to your meals. It works great for tacos, fajitas, etc. too!
The Sweet Corn Salsa is perfect in this salad, but if you haven’t made it yet you can use plain corn and throw in some peppers and/or onion for even more delicious flavor. Make this one your own:-)
- salad greens (we used romaine and spinach)
- olive oil
- taco seasoning (about 1 tablespoon per chicken breast)
- sweet corn salsa (see Milo & Oats) OR your own mix of corn, peppers, red onion, etc.
- black beans
- taco sauce
- Optional: sour cream/shredded monterey jack cheese
- For chicken: Coat skillet with a bit of olive oil. Heat to medium. Rub taco seasoning generously into each chicken breast. Place chicken in skillet and cook about 5 minutes before turning. Cook until done. You may chill chicken if you prefer of use right away.
- Assembly: Place greens in bowl and top with avocado, black beans, corn salsa and chicken. Drizzle with taco sauce. Squeeze on a bit of fresh lime juice. Top with sour cream and cheese if desired.