I am munching on this caramel corn as I type and it is so deliciously addicting! Ok, putting it away now…far, far away. Well, maybe just one more handful. I CAN. NOT. be trusted with this caramel corn. I’ve decided to not make another batch until we have company. It’s much easier to show restraint when someone is watching. In that case, shoving my face full of caramel corn would just be embarrassing. But when alone, well, I’m decidedly undignified. I’m sorry you had to see that.
On the bright side, I have given this caramel corn a healthier spin by replacing the corn syrup with honey. I also used coconut oil in place of butter, but that was for allergy purposes, not health purposes. I know, coconut oil is good for you but I’m also not butter averse. Go ahead and use whatever floats your boat.
Whatever you do, make this caramel corn! It is amazing. I receive complements whenever I make it….which is often.
This popcorn would make a perfect Christmas gift! I’m pondering my Christmas to-do list more today, now that we’re covered in snow here in Minnesota! It’s always nice to wrap up some homemade treats in pretty packaging for gift giving.
- 15 cups popcorn, popped
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup coconut oil
- ½ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees
- Place the popped popcorn in two large baking pans.
- To a saucepan, add brown sugar, coconut oil, honey, and salt.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture starts to bubble.
- Cook 3 more minutes.
- Add vanilla and baking powder. Stir until mixture foams, about a minute.
- Pour over popcorn and stir well.
- Bake the popcorn for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Spread popcorn in a single layer over parchment or foil. Let cool.
- Store in airtight, locked container.
- Just kidding about that locked part. Unless, you're me. Then it's a necessity.