Ooooooh do I ever love cinnamon rolls! I mean, really, what’s not to love. Pillowy soft bread, cinnamon swirl throughout, slathered in frosting. The perfect healthy breakfast.
It’s not a healthy breakfast you say? You don’t want your kids jacked up on sugar first thing in the morning? You may be right.
Well, how about all the cinnamonylicious (spellcheck is mad at me for that one) flavor of cinnamon rolls with a fraction of the sugar and the staying power of oats. Oh yeah. I’ve got ya covered…
If you’re feeling virtuous you can leave off the frosting. But I highly recommend shocking the munchkins from time to time. “What?!? Mom’s giving us frosting for breakfast!?”
Alright, so my kids weren’t really that shocked. I just don’t know what that says about me. Ok, I do. Maybe.
- 3 cups rolled oats, certified gluten-free if needed (quick oats would be fine as well)
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 2 cups almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup butter OR non-dairy butter (I like Earth Balance), melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon melted butter (Earth Balance)
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Whisk together flax meal with 3 tablespoons hot water. Set aside. In a medium bowl stir together oats, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Stir in milk, water, butter, vanilla and flax mixture. Pour into 11x7 inch (9x13 would work too) baking dish. Cover with foil. Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake oatmeal for 30 minutes. Uncover, and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- While oatmeal is baking whisk together the powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon melted butter. Add a few drops of milk if needed until preferred consistency.