Books. They can make you laugh, cry, and dream. They allow you to travel to far away places without leaving the comfort of your favorite chair. Great books help us learn about the past and imagine the future. All of this and so, so much more! Books are a wonderful thing.
One of my favorite things to do with my kids is curl up on the couch with a good book. Unfortunately, I don’t have hours to sit and read to my kids. We generally have a busy baby, or an even busier toddler, to contend with…and that is a good thing! There are blessings there too:-)
However, I don’t want my kids to miss out on spending leisurely afternoons listening to a great story. Or be deprived of a grand bedtime adventure to another time and place. Plus, audiobooks are a great way to supplement learning. I love them so much that I listed them as one of my Top 10 Homeschool Helps.
My oldest started listening to audiobooks when she was 4. She listened to E. B. White’s classics; Charlotte’s Web, Stuart Little, and The Trumpet of the Swan over and over. She also spent time with Peter Pan, Peter Rabbit, and Rudyard Kipling. We’ve since moved on to many others but some books remain favorites. The following is a short list of some of our past and present favorites. I hope you’ll love them as much as we do.
1) Mrs. Piggle Wiggle. Funny, endearing, imaginative. My oldest girl has read all of the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books. Now my 8-year-old boy is reading them and also requested them on audio.
2) All of the Milne classics in one unabridged audio. What’s not to love?!
4) Pippi Longstocking. Who can resist Pippi? Not my kids!
5) Misty of Chincoteague. And others by Marguerite Henry. My horse lover is crazy for these books!
6) We are big Jim Weiss fans here. I picked Gone West to show you, but we have listened to many Jim Weiss stories. Check them out! Our local library has a good selection.
7) Just So Stories. We’ve checked this one out from the library so much that we should have purchased our own copy long ago!
8) The Chronicles of Narnia. My 4th grade daughter started reading Narnia last summer. She has been through the series 3 times! We don’t own this on audio yet, but I’m looking forward to getting it so my not-quite-readers can begin to enjoy it as well!
Are you as crazy about audio books as we are? I would love to hear your favorites!